• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A CIC Credential

Laura_H

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
ICD-9 Student
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and have a few questions. I'm not a current CCO student, but have been contemplating on which course id like to take (or if I should just purchase the Blitz videos). I'm in school for HIM (RHIT), which i'll be graduating from very soon, but i'd like to get more into the coding to add another credential and because I feel that i'm not proficient at it. I'm undecided on whether I want to get into the outpatient coding, since i'm already learning inpatient in school, or if I should wait for the new CIC course through CCO to come out and become more proficient in the inpatient. Since RHIAs often work in inpatient settings, which do you think is the best route to go for an HIM student?

Patty

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and have a few questions. I'm not a current CCO student, but have been contemplating on which course id like to take (or if I should just purchase the Blitz videos). I'm in school for HIM (RHIT), which i'll be graduating from very soon, but i'd like to get more into the coding to add another credential and because I feel that i'm not proficient at it. I'm undecided on whether I want to get into the outpatient coding, since i'm already learning inpatient in school, or if I should wait for the new CIC course through CCO to come out and become more proficient in the inpatient. Since RHIAs often work in inpatient settings, which do you think is the best route to go for an HIM student?
Hello Laura
I was under he impression the RHIT program teaches coding...>>?? A certification for codng would probably be the best way to go. Many people take a quick route and do not get the same results. I have not purchased the Blitz videos but I have heard good things about them, and if they are as good as their overall program, I would bet on them. Good Luck with your new studies and forum. Patty

Laura_H

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
ICD-9 Student
Patty,

The RHIA does teach coding, but goes into more depth on maintaining the administrative details for taking care of the medical record such as ROI, chart assembly & analysis, flagging deficiencies, and statistical analysis. While we did learn the basics of coding, I don't feel that i'm proficient at it, especially since I took a year off in between receiving my Associate/Bachelor's degree when I had my youngest daughter three years ago.